The Holy House of the Annunciation
The Sanctuary began in 1061 when Our Lady requested the building of a house like the home of the Holy Family of Nazareth. This is why the Sanctuary is known as the “England’s Nazareth”.
At the time of the Reformation in 16th century the Sanctuary was destroyed and the statue burned. Worship began again in 1897.
Today, Walsingham has a Catholic and Anglican Shrine. Ecumenical encounters frequently take place there.
The statue of Our Lady of Walsingham was brought to Wembley Stadium in London when Pope John-Paul II visited Great Britain from 28th May to 2nd June 1982.
The Feast of Our Lady of Walsingham is kept on 24th September.